With the winter months fast approaching and as snow and ice begin to cover the roads, it’s important for you to be prepared for increased driving hazards. Whether taking a short drive to the store or going on a family vacation out of town, there are inherent risks while driving in snowy weather. Learning safe driving techniques, and having the proper Southampton auto insurance coverage can help keep the holiday season accident- and worry-free.
Taking certain precautions will lessen your odds of an accident
Driving in severe weather can be stressful, but even if you feel you are able to operate safely in the snow, there is no guarantee that other drivers can. If possible, it’s recommended that you do not drive in bad winter weather, and if you must, try to wait for the snowplows to make their rounds first. Those taking to the road need to pay proper attention to the conditions when the mercury begins to drop. Here are a few car maintenance tips to keep your vehicle in running order:
- Check the battery, lights, antifreeze, heater/defroster, belts, hoses, filters, oil, wipers and brakes
- Carry (in your trunk) an ice scraper, a snowbrush, a small shovel, tow chains and jumper cables
- Include blankets, gloves, boots, a flashlight, a first aid kit, extra batteries, and road flares
- Add chains to the tires if necessary
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid a gas line freeze-up
- Press the gas pedal slowly whenever accelerating to regain traction and avoid skids
- Take your time breaking for a stoplight (remember that it takes longer to slow down on icy roads)
Even the best preparations can’t stop car accidents from happening, especially in the hazardous winter driving months. To stay protected from what Old Man Winter has in store, be sure that you have the proper Southampton auto insurance coverage for your car.